The original Saxson Preaching Cross outside the ChurchThe original Saxon Preaching cross outside the Church

St. Peters Church 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

The official website of South Yorkshire's Oldest Building

 

 

Home
Foreword
Chronology
The Church is built
Stonework pre 1200
First Alteration
The first Extension
Extensions 1450 ad
Extensions 1450 p 2
Features 1475
Refurbishments
 20th Century
Early Tombs

Church Photos

Church Windows
Church Photos 2
Slide Presentation 1
Slide Presentation 2
From The Roof
Views From Luis
Altar and Features
Priest and Vicars
Church Group's
Mothers Union
History page 1
Weddings
Meaning of Terms
Links
Guest Book

For an update on current activities and forthcoming events visit

St Peters Conisbrough  

 

Stonework 800 ad to 1200ad

This photograph of the South West corner of the Saxon Nave, shows well the link with Northumberland and Ledsham.

 

 

The corner stones [ Quoins ] are laid 'side alternate' a trait peculiar to Northumberland and Ledsham.

These corner stones are still visible on the North West Corner.

Not obvious on the photo are grooves in the corner stone closest to the Hymn books

These grooves were formed before 1200ad, whilst it was still an outside wall. They are apparently where people sharpened their weapons, implements or tools

 

Below the two sides of the Porticus internal window, which are smaller on the Nave side to allow a view.

See artist impression of the inside of the North wall

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Top of Page

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.

Click on the mouse on each page to visit the Guest Book

 

info@stpeters.force9.co.uk

All content unless stated otherwise Šopyright Parish Council of St. Peters.

Formatting and transcription on this site Šopyright John Doxey.