The original Saxson Preaching Cross outside the ChurchThe original Saxon Preaching cross outside the Church

St. Peters Church 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

The official website of South Yorkshire's Oldest Building

 

Home
Foreword
Chronology
The Church is built
Stonework pre 1200
First Alteration
The first Extension
Extensions 1450 ad
Extensions 1450 p 2
Features 1475
Refurbishments
 20th Century
Early Tombs

Church Photos

Church Windows
Church Photos 2
Slide Presentation 1
Slide Presentation 2
From The Roof
Views From Luis
Altar and Features
Priest and Vicars
Church Group's
Mothers Union
History page 1
Weddings
Meaning of Terms
Links
Guest Book

For an update on current activities and forthcoming events visit

St Peters Conisbrough  

 

Refurbishments 1886

In 1866 a refurbishment was deemed necessary. The widening of the North Aisle, the width of which until this time, had been determined by the width of the c750 ad Lateral Chamber. The walls of the widened Aisle included the stonework of two 13th century windows. The Easternmost window on this wall is built above and around the 1523 tomb of Nicholas Boswell, a benefactor of the Church.

During this refurbishment the Vestry was destroyed, the Lychnascope damaged and its wooden door lost. Rare wall paintings were destroyed, with no record kept of the inscriptions. Ancient Pews were also destroyed, as was the stone Altar.

The Nave floor was raised causing the proportions of the Arches to be imbalanced.

The work was so poor that a letter in the Times and others described it as

"Very bad, what was once dignified, solemn, and most interesting is now vulgar, glaring, and insipid."

Church restoration in the 19th century in general caused much anger. Mr. Teale, the Architect of this work was named amongst others, in a pamphlet published in 1867, dedicated to ' Northern Vandals '.

The East Window

Depicting

Christ's Birth- Baptism- Crucifixion-

Resurrection- Ascension

 

Plan 8 left shows the wall [a] as solid. It was either at this time, or further work in 1882/3 that an arch was constructed here, as was one in the West wall of the Chapel. This was to allow a Church Organ to be installed. The clock, having faces on the North and South sides of the Tower was also of 1882

 

 

Top of Page

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.

Click on the mouse on each page to visit the Guest Book

 

info@stpeters.force9.co.uk

All content unless stated otherwise Šopyright Parish Council of St. Peters.

Formatting and transcription on this site Šopyright John Doxey.