The original Saxson Preaching Cross outside the ChurchThe original Saxon Preaching cross outside the Church

St. Peters Church 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

The official website of South Yorkshire's Oldest Building

 

Home
Foreword
Chronology
The Church is built
Stonework pre 1200
First Alteration
The first Extension
Extensions 1450 ad
Extensions 1450 p 2
Features 1475
Refurbishments
 20th Century
Early Tombs

Church Photos

Church Windows
Church Photos 2
Slide Presentation 1
Slide Presentation 2
From The Roof
Views From Luis
Altar and Features
Priest and Vicars
Church Group's
Mothers Union
History page 1
Weddings
Meaning of Terms
Links
Guest Book

For an update on current activities and forthcoming events visit

St Peters Conisbrough  

 

Early Features pre 1475

The Vestry door

Plan 7  shows the site of a vestry and Chapel to the North of the newly extended Chancel which was built around c 1475.

 

The Priests window

On the North wall of the Chancel a sealed doorway and barred window may be seen, showing where access to the vestry was gained , and where the Priest could view the Chancel

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.Also on the South side of the Chancel a second Aumbrey

 

The Piscina below right is built into the South wall of the South Aisle, and on the left below an Aumbrey in the East Wall of the South Aisle designed to store the Communion Chalices.

Aumbrey The Piscina
The Straight Joint

On the photo can be seen the straight joint down the wall where the South Porticus was removed, and replaced circa 1350ad.  [ Ref.  A on Plan 7 ]

 

Top of Page

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.

Click on the mouse on each page to visit the Guest Book

 

info@stpeters.force9.co.uk

All content unless stated otherwise Šopyright Parish Council of St. Peters.

Formatting and transcription on this site Šopyright John Doxey.