The original Saxson Preaching Cross outside the ChurchThe original Saxon Preaching cross outside the Church

St. Peters Church 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

 

The official website of South Yorkshire's Oldest Building

 

Home
Foreword
Chronology
The Church is built
Stonework pre 1200
First Alteration
The first Extension
Extensions 1450 ad
Extensions 1450 p 2
Features 1475
Refurbishments
 20th Century
Early Tombs

Church Photos

Church Windows
Church Photos 2
Slide Presentation 1
Slide Presentation 2
From The Roof
Views From Luis
Altar and Features
Priest and Vicars
Church Group's
Mothers Union
History page 1
Weddings
Meaning of Terms
Links
Guest Book

For an update on current activities and forthcoming events visit

St Peters Conisbrough  

 

Extensions of 1450 ad Continued

The Photo on the left is The North West Capital, described earlier with damage to the four corners.
 
The photo left, shows the infilled doorway in the North East corner of the Nave, where access was gained into the North Lateral Chamber. The lintal is boxed black and the door jamb is boxed red. On the Aisle side of this wall there are further corresponding straight joints of a door opening.

 

 

The doorway to the South Lateral Chamber has been totally destroyed.

 

High on the East wall of the Nave is a 1450 window, also infilled. Only St. Mary's Church at Tickhill has one in this location which is still in use. Above this window is the Beam reused from the c 1200 roof when the Nave walls were extended upwards in 1450. From the ground it would appear that the outer bottom edge of this beam is engraved. But closer inspection reveals that it has been meticulously painted. The roof of 1200 as that of 1450 was flatter to a lesser pitch than the original 740 roof.

 

The floor to the upper room of the original entrance porch has long since disappeared, but a 'string course' of masonry which supported this floor can still be seen above the Font.

 

The ancient custom of burials inside the Church caused the floors to be raised due to excess soil. This is particularly evident in the Chancel and side Chapel, where the doorways would appear to be only 1.5 metres in height.

 

 

 

Top of Page

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.

Click on the mouse on each page to visit the Guest Book

 

info@stpeters.force9.co.uk

All content unless stated otherwise Šopyright Parish Council of St. Peters.

Formatting and transcription on this site Šopyright John Doxey.