The original Saxson Preaching Cross outside the ChurchThe original Saxon Preaching cross outside the Church

St. Peters Church 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

 

The official website of South Yorkshire's Oldest Building

 

Home
Foreword
Chronology
The Church is built
Stonework pre 1200
First Alteration
The first Extension
Extensions 1450 ad
Extensions 1450 p 2
Features 1475
Refurbishments
 20th Century
Early Tombs

Church Photos

Church Windows
Church Photos 2
Slide Presentation 1
Slide Presentation 2
From The Roof
Views From Luis
Altar and Features
Priest and Vicars
Church Group's
Mothers Union
History page 1
Weddings
Meaning of Terms
Links
Guest Book

For an update on current activities and forthcoming events visit

St Peters Conisbrough  

 

Extensions of 1450 ad
The Church has seen today is the result of the remodelling of around 1450 ad.


The Chancel was doubled in length, and the Tower extended to its final height, with a spiral stair for access. The Nave was increased in height and one beam was re-used from the 1200 ad alterations. The South Aisle extended full width to the West end of the Tower. The entrance Porch was also added, and the Font is also of this time.

 

It is curious that the Clerestory windows above the pointed arches have pointed heads, whereas those on the opposite side of the Nave over the North Arcade with rounded arches have horizontal heads. Both installed at the same time. Possibly the North side is recycled from other positions.

 

A Vestry and Chapel the lengt5h of the Chancel on the North side, with a door accessing the Chancel was built. The sealed doorway remains as does a Lychnoscope, which give a view from the Vestry to the Chapel.
Below : is a Plan showing 1450 alterations and additions

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A   Masonry joint
B   The Tower Stair
The Chapel
D   Vestry
E   Porch
F    Extended Chancel
G   The Font
H
   Recycled Masonry
L
    Lychnoscopo

 

 

Fig 1 Shows one of three pieces of ornately decorated stone, reused in a different function to its original use, here as a window jamb Fig 2 Is of the Font c 1450 ad. It is believed to have a wooden counterbalanced ornamental lid. There are marks on its rim where hinges etc were. It is lead lined with a drain hole. Fig 3 Shows the low narrow door to the Tower. The spiral stair winds clockwise round a central column, giving access to the Belfry and roof.
The purpose of a clockwise spiral was to give a defender of a stair, a second advantage other than the obvious high ground. A right handed defending swordsman would have his natural thrust across his body. The attacking swordsman could only have this available to him if he was left handed. Although it probably was not expected that this event would occur in the Church, the mindset would follow from where spiral stairs were used in other situations i.e. nearby Conisbrough Castle.

 

 

 

Top of Page

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.

Click on the mouse on each page to visit the Guest Book

 

info@stpeters.force9.co.uk

All content unless stated otherwise Šopyright Parish Council of St. Peters.

Formatting and transcription on this site Šopyright John Doxey.