The original Saxson Preaching Cross outside the ChurchThe original Saxon Preaching cross outside the Church

St. Peters Church 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

The official website of South Yorkshire's Oldest Building

 

Home
Foreword
Chronology
The Church is built
Stonework pre 1200
First Alteration
The first Extension
Extensions 1450 ad
Extensions 1450 p 2
Features 1475
Refurbishments
 20th Century
Early Tombs

Church Photos

Church Windows
Church Photos 2
Slide Presentation 1
Slide Presentation 2
From The Roof
Views From Luis
Altar and Features
Priest and Vicars
Church Group's
Mothers Union
History page 1
Weddings
Meaning of Terms
Links
Guest Book

For an update on current activities and forthcoming events visit

St Peters Conisbrough  

 

Extensions Prior to the Black Death

In the 12oo ad  further demand, caused the south side of the nave to be extended. This involved removing the roof and inner walls of the lateral chamber and porticus, extending along the line of the south wall of the porticus, forming a new entrance and narrow aisle to the line of the west wall to the old entrance porch.
The original entrance was removed, and an arch installed. The porch was raised (but not to it's full height) and became a 'tower'. Note the 'flatter' roof line.

An arcade of three arches was installed, but the Saxon round arch was abandoned in favour of the 'Norman' pointed arch.

 

The sketch aboveis what the barons would have seen, as they passed by on their way to witness King John sign the magna carta at Runnymede in 1214.

 

 

South Arcade

The arches in the South arcade, being taller, have destroyed more of the original masonry, window openings etc. Than the North arcade. 

There is however, the remains of one window reveal, over the left side of the westernmost arch. [ see sketch 4 ]
There are no further alterations recorded until c 1350 ad, when the remains of the South Porticus and Lateral Chamber, were removed and the line of the 1200 door, extended to the East end of the Nave.  (see plan 6 below)

Artist impression of the inside of the South Arcade

The round arch in the right in the above sketch, is the widened Saxon entrance (now disused). The capitals on the column tops, although placed at the same time, differ in style.

 

Plan 6 shows the widened East end of the South side aisle, with three new windows in place.  In the extreme South East corner an Aumbrey and Piscina are depicted. These are probably repositioned from the South Porticus.

In the left-hand jamb of the East window in the South aisle, is a carved stone, of similar shape to that forming the window head in the North Porticus window. Note also, the first buttress appears on the south east corner.

 

World events at this time brought the 'black death' to England, killing an estimated half a million people. John Wycliffe instigated the 'Lollard' movement. In Conisbrough, the castle ownership reverted to the crown. The church, as with many others, was granted to Lewes Priory in Sussex, from the 11th to 16th centuries. A piece of stained glass in a chancel window is said to depict Prior Atwell of Lewes.


 

 

Top of Page

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.

Click on the mouse on each page to visit the Guest Book

 

info@stpeters.force9.co.uk

All content unless stated otherwise Šopyright Parish Council of St. Peters.

Formatting and transcription on this site Šopyright John Doxey.