The original Saxson Preaching Cross outside the ChurchThe original Saxon Preaching cross outside the Church

St. Peters Church 
Conisbrough, South Yorkshire

The official website of South Yorkshire's Oldest Building


The Church is built
Stonework pre 1200
First Alteration
The first Extension
Extensions 1450 ad
Extensions 1450 p 2
Features 1475
 20th Century
Early Tombs

Church Photos

Church Windows
Church Photos 2
Slide Presentation 1
Slide Presentation 2
From The Roof
Views From Luis
Altar and Features
Priest and Vicars
Church Group's
Mothers Union
History page 1
Meaning of Terms
Guest Book

For an update on current activities and forthcoming events visit

St Peters Conisbrough  


The Church Windows

A new window built into the 1050 South wall of the Chancel. The centre panels contain collages of ancient fragments of glass.

In the panel on the right is believed to be a likeness of Prior Atwell of Lewes.

[ Lewes Priory Research Site  ]

One of the Holders of the Office of Patron of the Church in c 14th century.


One of two windows in the 1866 widened North Aisle dating from the 12th century.

They depict Top to Bottom, left to right Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses

These two windows are from the same era as the building of the narrow aisle, and are probably reused in this 1866 wall.




Emmaus Window

" Their eyes were opened and they knew him " Luke's Gospel 23 : 31

The window depicting Jesus eating with the two men on the road to Emmaus





Top of Page

This trademark reproduced here by kind permission of  Robert Thompson's Craftsmen Ltd.

Click on the mouse on each page to visit the Guest Book

All content unless stated otherwise Šopyright Parish Council of St. Peters.

Formatting and transcription on this site Šopyright John Doxey.